The scorching Las Vegas heat means air conditioners work full-time which, in turn, means your house is sealed up for months on end. This results in a host of indoor air pollutants like animal dander, dust mites and pollen being trapped inside. These pollutants can exacerbate allergies, asthma and other respiratory ailments for people with such conditions. Children, in particular, can be seriously affected by indoor irritants.
The top offenders of poor indoor air quality are chemicals, particulates and mold. The EPA offers a bunch of suggestions on improving your home’s indoor air quality. Top recommendations include updating your home’s ventilation, purifying the inside air and controlling the source of pollutants.
Eco-Friendly Ways to Combat Indoor Air Pollution
There’s no one-size-fits-all solution, but these DIY measures will go a long way toward easier breathing for everyone:
- Replacing or Cleaning Your HVAC Consider replacing a standard filter with one designed to remove more contaminants. Filters that have deep pleats or are electrostatic are better at trapping more particles, but should also be cleaned regularly.
- Use Green Cleaning Products. Use environmentally-friendly cleaners in place of those with abrasive chemicals. There are plenty of natural alternatives for cleaning your home, so ditch those that contain bleach and ammonia whenever possible.
- Allergy-Proof Bedrooms. Encase mattresses, box springs, and pillows in covers designed to keep dust mites and animal dander at bay. Use hot water when washing bedclothes weekly and set to high heat when drying.
- Vacuum Regularly. Vacuums are great for sucking up dust and dander that settles on carpets, furniture and other household surfaces. If you have carpeting, a full-sized model is ideal for deep cleaning and typically comes with HEPA filters.
- Ventilate and Clean Air Ducts. All indoor pollutants can be exacerbated by poor home ventilation, so it’s a good idea to regularly have your home’s ducts cleaned by a professional. You can also improve ventilation by equipping kitchens and baths with ventilation fans to remove moisture which can lead to mold growth. To avoid structural damage, all ventilation fans should be vented to the outside, not to the attic or crawl space.
Remove Indoor Air Pollution with an Air Duct Cleaning
The steps above are great ways to combat indoor air pollution, but sometimes you need a professional to take your DIY tactics to the next level. In particular, air duct cleaning requires special equipment and trained technicians to do a thorough job for optimal results. Instant Air is here to help. Contact us today by calling (702) 385-2665 to learn more about our air duct cleaning services, book your appointment and get one step closer to breathing easier!
You work hard for your money, so you’re careful about how you spend it, especially on a major investment like a new HVAC Replacement for your Las Vegas home.
So now you want to run through that list of motivators just one more time – as you should. Let an authoritative third party, the U.S. Department of Energy, lead the way. Then allow the most reliable and trustworthy HVAC company in Las Vegas, Instant Air, cushion this investment with a $1,000 summer end discount.
When it’s Time to Consider a Replacement
No matter what the brand, most HVAC systems are rugged and durable. But even when they’re well maintained and tuned up once a year, they will not last forever. As machinery, they have a definite lifespan. If you’re considering an HVAC replacement in Las Vegas, the department of energy says “the writing is on the wall” when:
- An air conditioner is more than 10 years old.
- The furnace or boiler system is more than 15 years old.
- The system is breaking down more frequently, requiring repairs.
- Your energy bills keep going up while your usage has remained constant.
- Some areas in your home are too warm, too cold or too humid.
- Your home is excessively dusty.
Why Fall is the Best Time for an HVAC Replacement in Las Vegas
Some Las Vegas residents question the wisdom of investing in a new HVAC system at the end of summer, assuming they will miss out on taking advantage of its cooling power since the hottest days of the year are behind them. The second part of this statement is probably true, but it should be weighed against some compelling realities:
- Fall is the hottest time of the year for discounts, such as Instant Air’s Summer End Closeout deal. This $1000 discount off all HVAC units can put a replacement within financial reach for homeowners on a strict budget.
- Fall is typically a slower time for HVAC companies – between the hottest days of summer and coolest days of winter – so homeowners can usually find more convenient scheduling.
- Fall is a time of more moderate temperatures in Las Vegas. Most systems can be installed in less than one day, but if you have to be without your HVAC system while a new one is being installed, fall is the time to be without it for even a short time.
- Fall obviously arrives before the end-of-year holidays, when many people understandably declare a “time-out” on home spending because so much of their money is targeted for gifts, parties and other special purchases.
Schedule Your HVAC Replacement in Las Vegas
At Instant Air, we know you work hard for your money – and we want to help you keep more of it. But just as all the 100-degree days will soon be a thing of the past, the $1,000 Summer End Closeout won’t last forever, either. Call Instant Air at (702) 385-2665 and schedule your HVAC replacement in Las Vegas while this offer remains hot.
You’ve tried to make the best of the summer’s blistering, relentless heat. But going home to a window or portable air conditioning unit is a lot like jumping in the back seat of someone’s car and constantly shifting your position so that at least your forehead benefits from a blast of intermittent cool air.
You try to grin and bear it, but enough is enough.
Like many of your neighbors, you may be just one 100-degree-day away from giving the green light to an HVAC installation in Las Vegas. But first, you may wish to run down the list of annoyances of temporary cooling methods one more time:
Window Units are Inherently Flawed
Window air conditioners can be an affordable temporary solution, but their limitations underscore why they usually don’t assume permanent occupancy in a home. Window units steer many people to an HVAC installation in Las Vegas because the units can be:
- Limited in range, sometimes unable to cool even one room comfortably
- Less efficient than billed, especially if the seals are poorly secured and let warm outdoor air indoors
- Noisy, especially when the “low” setting is kicked up to “medium” or “high”
- A security risk, especially on a lower level
- A maintenance nuisance if they leak water outdoors to an inopportune place
- An eyesore, especially because you cannot cover or disguise them
Portable ACs Can Be “a Lot of Hot Air”
Window units can seem like bliss when contrasted to portable units, which Consumer Reports warned readers to regard “as the cooling choice of last resort” because many tested units:
- “Barely got a room below sweltering, let alone the 78 degrees Fahrenheit that’s considered the upper threshold of indoor comfort.”
- Aren’t nearly as “portable” as people think since they: often weigh between 50 and 80 pounds; can be difficult to roll over carpet; and a hose must be connected to a window.
- Must be positioned far away from walls or furniture to encourage air flow and so create an obstruction.
Add Up the Benefits of Central Air as Part of an HVAC Installation in Las Vegas
It may be tempting to liken the comfort of central air conditioning to jumping from the rear seat to the front seat of a car on a hot summer day. But even that is an understatement when you consider that central air conditioning:
- Delivers cool air to every room in a home – and on all levels
- Reduces humidity (which is what Willis Carrier had top-of-mind when he invented what he called his “dew point control system” in 1902)
- Improves indoor air quality – a particular relief for people who suffer from asthma and other respiratory illnesses
- Can be more affordable to operate than temporary cooling units (which run constantly)
- Improves a home’s marketability
- Runs quietly – and sometimes without detection except for the clicking sound when the thermostat engages
- Does not detract from the aesthetics of a home since the main component (the compressor) is installed outdoors
- Is simple to manage and operate – and can be made even more so with a programmable thermostat
In case these benefits aren’t motivation enough to schedule an HVAC installation in Las Vegas, consider saving $1,000 off a unit with our Summer End Closeout deal. We’ll ensure that your system is sized correctly so that you can finally dispense with temporary cooling solutions – and learn what it’s like to find full relief from the city’s blistering, relentless heat. Give us a call at (702) 385-2665 to take advantage of this special while it lasts!
The BBB, our national business watchdog, has issued a flurry of “scam alerts” notifying homeowners around the country about door-to-door hucksters trying to sell everything from AC inspections and duct cleaning services to gutters and siding.
You might think that anyone who tries to drum up business by going door-to-door is on the shady side. But the BBB isn’t willing to go that far, saying that some door-knockers “operate ethically and represent reputable companies.” They are simply trying to make a living — and often seize the opportunity to do so after a neighborhood has been struck by an act of nature, such as torrential rains, hail, high winds, floods or other natural disasters. In times like these, they can provide a much-needed service (though their inflated fees don’t always conform to their purported compassionate presence).
It’s the shady characters you have to stare down, and we want to help you put on your game face. After all, you didn’t schedule an appointment for these people to visit your home. They’re showing up with the hope they can sell you something, so heed these five “buyer beware” tips from the BBB:
- Stand your ground if you have a “no solicitors” sign near your front door. A Las Vegas code reads that “no person engaged in peddling or soliciting shall…attempt to peddle or solicit at any dwelling where there is displayed near its entrance a sign bearing the words ‘no peddlers or solicitors’ or other words of similar import…”
- Ask to see identification. An honest sales person won’t hide anything, especially identification. Door-to-door sales people may not wear shirts imprinted with their name and company – unlike the technicians at Instant Air – but they should offer a photo ID and business card.
- Resist offers that are accompanied by deadline pressure. “One-day only” offers are often extended by “contractors” who won’t be in town two days later. And “group” discounts that are conditional on the mutual acceptance of neighbors are suspicious, too. Reputable contractors don’t resort to high-pressure tactics.
- Know your rights if you do sign a contract. The Federal Trade Commission’s “three-day cooling off rule gives consumers three days to cancel purchases of more than $25 that are made in their home or at a location that is not the seller’s permanent place of business.” A sales person should provide a receipt and a cancellation form that a consumer can send to the company to cancel the contract. By law, a company must provide a refund within 10 days of receiving a cancellation notice.
- Trust your gut instinct. Better to talk with strangers outdoors. But if you do invite a stranger into your home and he (or she) gives you any reason to fear for your safety, ask the person to leave. If they delay or refuse, call 911.
Be Safe and Avoid the AC Inspection Scams
With worries like these to navigate, it’s no wonder that so many Las Vegas residents simply do not answer the doorbell for sales people. And if they need an important service such as an AC inspection or duct cleaning, they call a reputable, trustworthy company that has long called Las Vegas home – and has the satisfied customers to prove it. Give Instant Air a call at (702) 385-2665 and you can rest easy knowing our technicians put our custom