5 Warning Signs You Need Furnace Replacement
Discover the 5 warning signs that your furnace may need replacing in Las Vegas, NV. Getting it replaced before failure will keep you warm.
A good furnace can last quite a while in most homes, but no piece of machinery works forever. Knowing when to replace your furnace is important if you want to avoid a possibly dangerous malfunction. It’s also nice to know your home will always be warm when you need it to be – something that only happens when you know your heating unit is reliable.
5 Signs of Furnace Trouble
If you notice any of the following, it may be time to call in a Las Vegas furnace replacement professional to take a look at your furnace:
- Rising heating bills – Whether your furnace is gas or electric, if it begins to wear out it will become less efficient. It may use more energy to accomplish the same amount of work, something you will probably notice on your gas or electric bill. If you suspect there may be an issue, it is worth looking over the last few utility bills to see if you notice an increase.
- Your furnace is over 15 years old – Most furnaces have a life expectancy of around 16 to 20 years. If your furnace is getting up there in age, it is probably time to consider a replacement. The best time to shop for a furnace is before you actually need it – not during an emergency because your current furnace has gone out on you. If you are not sure how old the furnace is, one general indicator is if it has a pilot light. Pilot lights have not been common in furnaces in the past 25 years. So if you have a pilot light, now is definitely the time for a replacement!
- Your burner flame is yellow – The flame on your furnace should be a nice blue color. If you see yellow in the flame, or the flame tends to flicker, your furnace could be emitting carbon monoxide – a poisonous gas that has no place in your home. Other signs of carbon monoxide include soot, condensation on nearby windows or other surfaces that are cool, substantial rust on pipes and water leakage around the base of the flue pipe or chimney. If you see any of these signs it is definitely time to call in a furnace replacement specialist as soon as possible.
- Cracked heat exchanger – Older furnaces can develop cracks in the heat exchanger, which can then leak carbon monoxide into the home. If you or your family have been experiencing unexplained symptoms, such as headaches, nausea, flu-like symptoms or a burning in the nose or eyes, you may have a carbon monoxide leak going on with your heat exchanger. If any of these symptoms are occurring, open up windows and doors to vent the house and keep a window open near the furnace. Then call a furnace replacement professional immediately.
- Excessive furnace noise – Everything gets rickety as it gets older, but a furnace that is still in good shape should make a minimal amount of noise. If your furnace is making banging, popping or squealing noises, it may be time to upgrade. You may also notice the blower in the furnace running more than it used to, or pushing cold air. If any of this is happening, you should make an appointment with a professional to check it out and see if you need a replacement.
Not sure if your furnace is ok? Call Instant Air at 702-385-2665 for furnace replacement in Las Vegas, NV today!