Our Las Vegas HVAC Experts Teach You How to Save Money This Summer
If you are like the average household, you spend more than $2,200 a year on your energy bills, nearly half of which is spent on heating and cooling costs. With summer here, you likely want to turn your air conditioning up to full blast. However, you can cut down on your utility bills and avoid pricey repair bills by following these simple energy-saving tips provided by the Las Vegas HVAC experts at Instant Air.
Keep the hot air out
There’s no point in cranking up your air conditioning when that expensive cool air is leaking out through your home’s nooks and crannies.
- Seal windows and doors with weatherproof caulking and strips.
- Seal your heating and cooling ducts.
- Install insulating curtains and keep them closed during the day.
- Clear the area around your outdoor unit. Keep bushes and shrubs at least 2 feet away from your unit to ensure an unobstructed air flow.
- Clean or change your air filter regularly. Keeping your filter clean can reduce your summer air conditioning energy consumption by up to 15%. If you have a reusable filter, wash it frequently; if you have a disposable filter, replace it monthly.
Make the most of your thermostat
Your air conditioning unit works hard to keep you cool. Assisting your system by installing ceiling fans will help it work more efficiently. In addition, using your thermostat properly can help cut your utility bill.
- Purchase a programmable thermostat. Unlike a regular thermostat, a programmable thermostat adapts to your changing home comfort needs. By pre-programming the settings, your thermostat will raise the indoor temperature while you’re at away at work, while you sleep, and will kick the air conditioner on when you are at home and awake. Many programmable models can even be controlled through your smartphone.
- Set your thermostat to your desired temperature, but not any cooler. Setting the temperature colder does not cool your home any quicker – it just forces your unit to work longer than needed. During the summer months, for every degree you raise your indoor temperature over an eight hour period, you can save up to 1% on your yearly energy bill.
Schedule regular HVAC maintenance
For more comprehensive maintenance, arrange for a professional checkup with a certified professional technician. Clogged drains can cause as much energy waste as a dirty air filter, and emergency repairs can be costly . Consider the benefits of an Instant Service Club Membership:
- Regular heating and air conditioning maintenance visits.
- Discounted diagnostic fees, repairs and replacements.
- Work performed by trained and certified HVAC professionals.
Purchase a new ENERGY STAR HVAC system
If you have an air conditioning unit that is on its last legs, or is over ten years old, replacing your unit with an energy efficient model can cut your cooling costs significantly. A new air conditioner can use up to 40% less energy to create the same amount of cool air than one made just 10 years ago. Select an air conditioner with an ENERGY STAR rating and a Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio (SEER) of 14 or higher. Installing your new unit in the shade will enable it to operate up to 10% more efficiently.
For more information about cutting your summer cooling costs, or for answers to your home comfort questions, contact the Las Vegas HVAC experts at Instant Air Conditioning and Heating at 702-385-2665.